Thursday Knights Logo

This forum is for everything else, be it talking about the podcast itself, the latest video game, or anything else!

Postby Greg » January 21st, 2013, 12:54 pm

I desperately want a proper Thursday Knights logo.

The problem is I am super picky. I even paid for one of those crowd-sourcing logo design websites and in the end had to do a full rejection for a partial refund.

The logo needs to represent tabletop roleplaying, be recognizable at a small size (think Twitter icon) and ideally be suitable for conversion to two-tone black and white.

The more I think about it, the more I think the quintessential polyhedron dice need to be in the logo. I can't think of any imagery that better represents tabletop roleplaying. In the logo contest I ran, multiple submissions tried to use swords or shields or helmets to accomplish the RPG message, but none of them felt right. My problem with the dice though is that a single D20 is just too generic. Everyone uses a D20 in their logo to mean roleplaying, and it's pretty tough to use it in a way that is different. I mean hell because of its shape you can only rotate it very slightly before it just becomes what you rotated it from!

For the logo contest I kept saying that I wanted the logo to also somehow communicate that it's a live show, or at least a show. I was thinking something like a TV, or something that represented "broadcasting" like radio waves, or a broadcast tower, or something like that. However, none of these ideas panned out visually at all, so I'm thinking I should abandon that part of the wish.

My current idea is that it should have multiple polyhedron dice of different sizes, somewhat chaotically arranged. I found this image when searching for dice images which I quite like. Imagine if they were different sizes (a D20, a couple D6s, and a D8?) and then the words "Thursday Knights" in some really minimalistic typeface below? I dunno man I'm not a designer, I'm just trying to brainstorm here!
Greg
TK Dungeon Master

Character Name: Dungeon Master

Re: Thursday Knights Logo

Postby lincoln » January 21st, 2013, 1:43 pm

what if the icon was a microphone with a D20 at the top instead of a "mesh ball?" I don't know where you would stick Thursday Knights (maybe just under it in a cool typeface?), but it could potentially work (again, think twitter bird).

Just adding to the brainstorm...
lincoln
TK Player

Character Name: Wrenn

Postby Greg » January 21st, 2013, 2:33 pm

The problem is pretty much everything that tried to use a D20 as part of an object just looked cheap and bad. It's tough to get it to blend properly, AND the D20 is just too generic!

What kind of microphone were you thinking? A regular stick mic wouldn't look like a microphone at all; it would look like a D20 on top of an ice cream cone. Perhaps something could be done with the classic mic icon but I still think it'd look cheap :(
Greg
TK Dungeon Master

Postby jaycub » January 22nd, 2013, 3:06 pm

Hey,

Believe it or not I've thought a lot about this topic and I basically agree with Greg. I think something with dice and a night sky as in "knights" might work.
I made this banner when season 2 started. It's kind messy but that's the standard stream angle seen through window and all the DnD weapons checked at the door.
Attachments
tkbanner.jpg
tkbanner.jpg (982.33 KiB) Viewed 5866 times
jaycub

Postby Greg » January 22nd, 2013, 3:17 pm

Hah that's super cute. I like the symbolism of checking the D&D weapons at the door as we try some non-D&D stuff
Greg
TK Dungeon Master

Postby Greg » February 11th, 2013, 4:05 pm

Which do you guys like more? The colors and font could potentially change, but do you like the one with the subtle TV in the background, or the one with the nonsensical but somehow still interesting swoosh?

Imagine the left side of it as the stand-alone "icon" used for things like a Twitter picture or Facebook profile photo.

PNG-(Web)-small.png
PNG-(Web)-small.png (36.76 KiB) Viewed 5769 times

PNG-(Web)-small.png
PNG-(Web)-small.png (31.6 KiB) Viewed 5769 times
Greg
TK Dungeon Master

Postby lincoln » February 11th, 2013, 4:50 pm

Swoosh. I don't know why, I just like it more.
lincoln
TK Player

Postby Sam » February 11th, 2013, 8:04 pm

definitely swoosh. didn't see the tv until after a few moments of looking. even after seeing it, it mostly just looks like a rectangle. The swoosh gives it some dynamic action (not sure what that actually means), looks like the dice are moving.
Sam
TK Player

Character Name: Hugh Weaver

Postby lincoln » February 11th, 2013, 9:01 pm

What Sam said
lincoln
TK Player

Postby Dan » February 12th, 2013, 12:45 am

I vote for swoosh and for calling rolling a die "swooshing."
Dan
TK Player

Character Name: Brandis

Postby ZombieRoboNinja » February 13th, 2013, 6:48 pm

I like the icon but I'm not sold on the color palette or the font. I'm not a huge fan of Papyrus, but I *do* think something medieval-y would be a nice touch there, since the icon doesn't carry that connotation. Maybe a Celtic-style font, with a dark-gray palette like the iTunes podcast icon you guys use?
ZombieRoboNinja

Return to Everything Else