Jan 17: Another Dread, or Something New?

This forum is for everything else, be it talking about the podcast itself, the latest video game, or anything else!

Postby Greg » January 15th, 2013, 1:28 pm

Alright guys, what'll it be?

Would you like to play Dread one last time, or would you like to move on to something new?

I picked up another system to try that I'm pretty interested in, so I can go either way.

I don't want to spoil what the new system will be, but I will say that it will more closely resemble traditional roleplaying with various sizes of dice. But on a spaceship.
Greg
TK Dungeon Master

Character Name: Dungeon Master

Re: Jan 17: Another Dread, or Something New?

Postby Sam » January 15th, 2013, 2:37 pm

Dread was fun, but my vote is for the new thing.
Sam
TK Player

Character Name: Hugh Weaver

Postby lincoln » January 15th, 2013, 2:48 pm

Having only played it once I would play Dread again, but with the requirement that we are offered/take advantage of more pulls. I think it would be more exciting if the tower fell more than one time at the end of the session. Yeah, it kills people off and they can't play anymore, but not having any major consequences for our decisions and actions until the very end makes the game a little, shall we say, meh. Though, it may just be that we are all amazing Jenga players (as was demonstrated last week). Just my two cents.

Otherwise, a new system sounds good to me!
lincoln
TK Player

Character Name: Wrenn

Postby lincoln » January 15th, 2013, 3:06 pm

Or we could hike to the top of Burdell at night using your Bosavi and have Luke DM an impromptu session while we walk. That's always fun.
lincoln
TK Player

Postby Dan » January 15th, 2013, 3:29 pm

Listen up, bitches.

We're playing the new thing.
Dan
TK Player

Character Name: Brandis

Postby Sam » January 15th, 2013, 3:34 pm

I agree with Lincoln's assessment of Dread. I think the game would work best if the players are never quite sure of what they should do, and are constantly presented with things they could do. If the players seem bent on a particular course of action, then throw up obstacles and tempting alternatives to side track them. Essentially play devils advocate. If the players think they should stay put, then get them to move. As soon as they start moving, convince them to stay put. Of course that's easier said than done. I think that to make it work you would have to not have one success path and bunch of red herrings, but have all paths be red herrings until you decide that enough people have died or whatever. But the players couldn't know that or it screws it all up. The fact that I know that the game is supposed to throw a bunch of red herrings at me makes me start looking for them. It seems like the game works best the more ignorant the players are of the game mechanics. Like the old fashioned thing where players aren't supposed to read the DMG. I think 4th edition got us into the sort of wrong mindset for that. You can't be "Greg the Facilitator", you have to be "Greg the Almighty".
Sam
TK Player

Postby Cailin » January 15th, 2013, 7:39 pm

I CHOOSE THE NEW THING
Cailin
TK Player

Character Name: Arora

Postby Greg » January 15th, 2013, 11:52 pm

Sam wrote:I agree with Lincoln's assessment of Dread. I think the game would work best if the players are never quite sure of what they should do, and are constantly presented with things they could do. If the players seem bent on a particular course of action, then throw up obstacles and tempting alternatives to side track them. Essentially play devils advocate. If the players think they should stay put, then get them to move. As soon as they start moving, convince them to stay put. Of course that's easier said than done. I think that to make it work you would have to not have one success path and bunch of red herrings, but have all paths be red herrings until you decide that enough people have died or whatever. But the players couldn't know that or it screws it all up. The fact that I know that the game is supposed to throw a bunch of red herrings at me makes me start looking for them. It seems like the game works best the more ignorant the players are of the game mechanics. Like the old fashioned thing where players aren't supposed to read the DMG. I think 4th edition got us into the sort of wrong mindset for that. You can't be "Greg the Facilitator", you have to be "Greg the Almighty".

I think you mainly feel this way because I haven't been running the games very well. I'd love to play Dread with a much more experienced Host.
Greg
TK Dungeon Master

Postby Sam » January 16th, 2013, 1:01 am

Horror seems like a tricky genre to do well, even with experience.
Sam
TK Player

Postby Greg » January 17th, 2013, 11:38 am

I am excite.

I have pre-made characters for you, and we'll learn the system as we play so we'll be able to get started pretty much right away!
Greg
TK Dungeon Master

Postby lincoln » January 17th, 2013, 11:57 am

Greg wrote:I am excite.

I have pre-made characters for you, and we'll learn the system as we play so we'll be able to get started pretty much right away!

Give it to me.gif
Give it to me.gif (933.03 KiB) Viewed 5300 times
lincoln
TK Player

Postby Sam » January 18th, 2013, 1:38 am

The new thing was a good choice.
Sam
TK Player

Postby Dan » January 18th, 2013, 1:53 am

(wookiee sound)
Dan
TK Player

Character Name: Brandis

Postby Cailin » January 18th, 2013, 7:45 am

One more round of applause for that amazing opening vid!

Epic.
Cailin
TK Player

Character Name: Arora

Return to Everything Else