Old Session Plan?

This forum is for everything else, be it talking about the podcast itself, the latest video game, or anything else!

Postby Combyourhaircat » January 5th, 2013, 3:46 am

Hey guys! In one of your roundtable discussions you mentioned the long session plans that Cailin writes up and you mentioned releasing a few of them after the campaign was all wrapped up. I am DMing my own campaign and I would love to see one of your old session plans to see how much you prepare and how you organize it all. Also I was wondering if you were planning to post episodes of your role play tour as podcasts. I am almost done listening to all the podcasts and it is heartbreaking, the story is so good and I have spent so much time listening to you guys and laughing with you, thank you so much for the supreme entertainment.
Combyourhaircat

Re: Old Session Plan?

Postby Cailin » January 6th, 2013, 4:39 pm

We'll definitely be posting the system tour podcasts (as soon as I get around to processing them) but in the meantime I'd be happy to post some tidbits from the TK vs. 4e campaign.

Episode 94: Dark Choices - In which the Brandis duels Zahar and I am faced with the task of coming up with a contingency plan in-case Brandis has some sort of seizure and loses.

Epsiode 96: Madness - Another one of my favorites, in which the characters are presented with some sweet new phobias, and yours truly writes up yet another amazing contingency plan that was never to be. (But oh, if it had...)

Annnd here's some flavor for The Vault!
Cailin
TK Player

Character Name: Arora

Postby Dan » January 7th, 2013, 3:42 pm

GHOST BRANDIS!?!?!??!!!!!!!!!11111oneone
Dan
TK Player

Character Name: Brandis

Postby Combyourhaircat » January 7th, 2013, 7:34 pm

Thank you so much! I love that you prepare for Hugh miraculously figuring stuff out. I will definitely try this format out, I usually don't keep the role playing script and the encounters separate but it seems like that would let the group more casually begin combat instead of me reading a few lines and then telling the group to role initiative. Also all the madness stuff is awesome material. lol Ghost Brandis :D
Combyourhaircat

Postby Greg » January 8th, 2013, 2:14 pm

Man, the TKP contingency plan for Episode 96 was so amazing. I'm fairly disappointed that it didn't happen!
Greg
TK Dungeon Master

Character Name: Dungeon Master

Postby Cailin » January 8th, 2013, 9:44 pm

Them's the breaks, you know? Ghost Brandis had real potential. But that's the fun about not rail-roading the nitty-grity in each session. Even allowing for big swings in the session can make for some really fun plot-twists that you can then pretend you always meant to happen! There's always a way to make it work with where you want the story to ultimately arrive, you just have to get creative! One great example is when Arora and Wrenn die and the party had to travel to hell to get their souls back!

The Lesson for Today: Allow your players to fail, BUT have some amazing plot twists to fall back on to keep the story going!
Cailin
TK Player

Postby Cailin » January 8th, 2013, 9:59 pm

Combyourhaircat wrote:I love that you prepare for Hugh miraculously figuring stuff out.D

Yes... if anything that is a predictable trait of both Hugh AND Sam. It makes for interesting planning!

Me: Ah, yes. This is an excellent way to foreshadow this other thing.

Me: ...unless Hugh points at it and opens his big fat ranger pie-hole. Again.

Me: Arrrg but if I don't foreshadow it well enough, it won't make any sense!

Me: *headdesk*
Cailin
TK Player

Postby ZombieRoboNinja » January 9th, 2013, 3:24 pm

Hmm, this whole time I thought Cailin was as surprised by the plot twists as the rest of the players! You get extra RP props for not letting Arora spoil anything in advance!

So do Cailin and Greg work together on all the plot arc planning? I could see it working well for Cailin to do most of the plot writing and Greg to deal with planning out encounters and such.
ZombieRoboNinja

Postby Greg » March 5th, 2013, 3:40 pm

ZombieRoboNinja wrote:So do Cailin and Greg work together on all the plot arc planning? I could see it working well for Cailin to do most of the plot writing and Greg to deal with planning out encounters and such.

In early Paragon, it was much more of a joint process, with me doing the bulk of story and encounter design, with Cailin mainly just writing flavor blocks and helping with brainstorming. Over time, she took on the role of more fundamental story design, and by the time we were mid-way through Epic, she was pretty much doing all of the writing and story arc design with me simply approving or requesting changes, while I handled all of the mechanical stuff.
Greg
TK Dungeon Master

Character Name: Dungeon Master

Postby jaycub » March 10th, 2013, 10:21 pm

Thanks for posting this. Really interesting. Especially the Vault info. I love those episodes.
jaycub

Return to Everything Else