Can't. Stop. Smashing. Head. Into. Desk.

This forum is for everything else, be it talking about the podcast itself, the latest video game, or anything else!

Postby Thoth » July 16th, 2012, 3:59 pm

http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx ... l/20120716

Way to go, Mearls, way to go. Instead of building your rules and character options with proper balance that can be extended / compressed beyond your suggested workday, you'll just let (Vancian) casters kick the hell out of everyone else over shorter days with splashy and exciting fights, and let the fighter be really good for long days with drawn-out fights and boring / simple enemies and mechanics.

To paraphrase: "Yeah, the 5-minute workday is a real problem, but instead of having proper balance between classes and character options, we'll just add a sidebar in the DMG that tells you to fix it yourself."

More "DM Empowerment" and "Feels like D&D" in action, folks.

GAAAAAHHHHH!

(I tried to hold this one in, but I was actually physically, morally, and spiritually compelled to rant about this)
Thoth

Character Name: Verbose Chatmod

Postby AlchemicFox » July 16th, 2012, 6:35 pm

But you know what's AWESOME? 13th Age is using Greg's "game is designed to let you rest after 4 battles" approach. Drop all your Daily powers after 1 battle? Tough, sleeping all day to get around that doesn't work. Mearlsian casting is a thing of the past.
AlchemicFox

Character Name: Baelethenar

Re: Can't. Stop. Smashing. Head. Into. Desk.

Postby Thoth » July 16th, 2012, 6:45 pm

4th already lets me do that. We've been using the 1day = 3-5 encounters system since a few months after 4's release. I don't need another heroic fantasy system to get around the 5mwd.
Thoth

Postby AlchemicFox » July 16th, 2012, 8:33 pm

It's not that you "need" another system to do it, it's that most systems that aren't DnDNext understand how stupid the "5 minute workday" is and have used common sense to get around it.
AlchemicFox

Character Name: Baelethenar

Re: Can't. Stop. Smashing. Head. Into. Desk.

Postby Thoth » July 16th, 2012, 9:41 pm

Well, PF is still suck on it to a certain degree (much less so than 3, but the root of that evil is still there), but yes, most games have moved on from design that was provably bad 20+ years ago. The major point I was making is that I really don't care about 13th Age, as the fantasy slot on my dance card was already taken.
Thoth

Return to Everything Else