WOC kills virtual table top.

This forum is for everything else, be it talking about the podcast itself, the latest video game, or anything else!

Postby Jonin » July 12th, 2012, 10:22 am

What do you guys think about this? I'm really disappointed myself. The VTT was one of the big things I was really hoping to see. I've experimented with Fantasy Grounds, Maptools a little etc but was hoping someone would come out with something that worked really well and was easy to use. I'm not really that familiar with Paizo's stuff or pathfinder but I see they've announced their own VTT now. I'm interested to see if they can really pull it off.

http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5ld ... ce#discuss
Jonin

Postby AlchemicFox » July 12th, 2012, 11:47 am

I seriously thought they cancelled that years ago. I hadn't heard anything about it since Gleemax disappeared.
AlchemicFox

Character Name: Baelethenar

Re: WOC kills virtual table top.

Postby Harsgault » July 12th, 2012, 2:06 pm

They killed the original one long long ago yes. Something about discovering that the programmers were just eating tacos all day and not coding. :P

It was brought back later and entered a beta phase with just about everyone with a DDI account having access. Of course they provided zero support for helping groups to get together, which combined with already strong VTT communities using Fantasy Ground 2 or Maptools etc, nobody really got into participating. In the end, the VTT did not die because nobody wanted it as WotC might claim, but rather because WotC failed to support it themselves. The level of WotC enthusiasm for the VTT concept was pretty cold from the very first, so it's hardly a surprise they were looking for an excuse to kill it.
Harsgault

Re: WOC kills virtual table top.

Postby Thoth » July 12th, 2012, 4:05 pm

And when you couple all the factors noted above with the fact that 5 will be defaulted to non-gridded combat, it's not surprising at all that they are dropping the product.
Thoth

Character Name: Verbose Chatmod

Return to Everything Else