Thursday 2/27 homework

This is for any RPG related out-of-character stuff like rules discussions, character ideas, loot wishlists, etc. If it's about game mechanics in any way, it goes here.

Postby Sam » February 27th, 2014, 12:45 am

So we're supposed to come up with a character thesis or something, as well as something like a five year plan for our characters. Kind of a short what is your character all about and what direction are they headed in. Also, we're to come up with a similar plan for the group, what are we about and where are we going. I'm still thinking about all this and will likely post something tonight, just thought I would throw this up here to get it started.
Sam
TK Player

Character Name: Hugh Weaver

Re: Thursday 2/27 homework

Postby Dan » February 27th, 2014, 3:04 pm

Thanks, Sam. The Thursday Knights are drawn together by things they have in common. In this case, it's how we ain't great at homework.

In broad strokes, I think we want to nail down the present and the future aspirations for our characters

I'm still feeling out Clint's thoughts on our new situation, and how it changes what he really wants (and what I want for him). I like that we don't have a safety net in terms of legal immunity, so I think something along the lines of "Clint won't let his friends get taken in" is good for a present aspiration.

For a future aspiration, I used "Clint wants to run the Public Library" as an example, but I don't want to set his targets on a leadership role. I know our aspirations will change as things become more or less important to us, so for the time being I'm leaning towards something like "Clint wants to know the world's greatest secrets."
Dan
TK Player

Character Name: Brandis

Postby Dan » February 27th, 2014, 3:35 pm

OH YEAH and what about the party / campaign? Is Synthadyne our target?

What about the short term? Prove ourselves within the PL? Or do you guys feel like that is just a job, and you want to focus on improving our resources? Just "making money" is a fine present aspiration in my book.
Dan
TK Player

Postby Sam » February 27th, 2014, 5:05 pm

Alan's present aspiration is to improve his security. He's felt very exposed ever since the group started getting chased by the law, the time in Haven being a brief reprieve. He wants to investigate the PL to find out if they really are the benevolent group they claim to be, as well as acquire enough resources (vehicles, cash, safe-houses, contacts, etc.) so that he is not completely reliant on the PL for continued survival if they turn out to be bad.

Alan's long term aspiration is the complete destruction of the Synthodyne Corporation and to have it's leaders brought to justice or killed. Alan lost his clinic and is a wanted man because of Synthodyne. The Corporation is responsible for numerous deaths, performing large scale fatal human experiments, and committing treason against the US government. If it is within Alan's power to see them brought down, he will do so. If it isn't, well... running off to some South American town to drink the rest of his life away is not off the table.
Sam
TK Player

Postby Dan » March 6th, 2014, 12:42 pm

We haven't heard from Alice. I think there was mention of a focus on badassery.

Lastly, we should come up with aspirations for the campaign as a whole. We each have our own stories, but where do we want our characters to end up or move towards? I feel like we hadn't really committed to being good or bad people before, but the PL is allowing that to come into focus. We clearly aren't a group of shining paladins, but do you guys want us (as a group) to be good at heart?
Dan
TK Player

Postby Sam » March 6th, 2014, 1:13 pm

I generally enjoy playing good characters, or at least somewhere between neutral and good. Alan has good ideals, but will often lose sight of them when he's trying to solve a problem. Ex: help people by starting a clinic, but gets in bed with the mob when it hits financial difficulties. Rescue Clint, but intentionally set an apartment building on fire in the process.

As far as group motivation I see doing it either bottom up, thinking about our characters and figuring out what sort of group motivation they would have, or top down, deciding on a group direction and then figuring out why our characters are doing that. Either works.
Sam
TK Player

Postby Sam » March 6th, 2014, 4:41 pm

I am on board with throwing Patrick Yule into mount doom. It'll be fun to kick the ass of the guy who has been such a problem. Plus it seems like it's the idea that Greg has been thinking about the longest, and I want to see all the cool things he has thought up. Also, taking down Synthadyne seems like it would lead to all sorts of other interesting things too, like smashing open a piñata full of fancy tech-magic and conspiracy theories. Could lead into whatever the next big adventure might be.
Sam
TK Player

Postby Dan » March 6th, 2014, 6:11 pm

I like it.

I could see Clint working towards the goal of toppling the big evil corporation. Because he has fewer scruples than Alan, I need to figure out why he has a problem with Synthadyne, but is a PL fanboy.
Dan
TK Player

Postby Cailin » March 6th, 2014, 6:46 pm

Ok ok I know I'm late to the party. It's been a busy week and I lost Alice under a pile of Daft Punk merchandise.

Alice needs a place to stay. She’s used to instability in her life but she’s also fond of her creature comforts, particularly those comforts that have become hard to find. Her latest jaunt to South Africa resulted in unpaid rent and eviction notices, so as far as short term goals go she’s interested in securing some space to call her own, even if it’s someone’s garage, a repurposed tool-shed, or a certain Agent H’s pad.

Long term goals? Honestly Alice isn’t much of a big-picture sort, but I suppose I’d say that on the whole Alice wants to be impressive*. This primary goal guides all her other actions, though what Alice finds “impressive” may not always be to everyone’s taste as it usually involves some form of mayhem. This may leave some wondering, who is she trying to impress, and why? But not even Alice is mindful enough to either ask or answer that question.

*more specifically, cybernetic enhancements
Cailin
TK Player

Character Name: Arora

Postby Cailin » March 6th, 2014, 6:56 pm

Re: Campaign Direction

I want things to get more dangerous. I like the idea of approaching things from many angles (charm, infiltration, bashing doors down), but what I want is more danger, specifically it feels like the world we're living in is pretty secure and happy. Maintaining that is a noble goal sure, but I want (eventually) to be scared for this world and its people on a larger scale, maybe citywide, maybe countrywide? I'd like the things we care about to be in very real, very obvious danger. At the very least, let's shake up the global paradigm a bit!
Cailin
TK Player

Character Name: Arora

Return to Metagame