Naming the City

This is for any RPG related out-of-character stuff like rules discussions, character ideas, loot wishlists, etc. If it's about game mechanics in any way, it goes here.

Postby Kevin? » June 14th, 2013, 1:03 pm

Hey Greg, is it alright if we try and come up with our name for Generic City?

You said it's on the East Coast, and should kind of be a New York equivalent, similar to Gotham or Metropolis.

How about...

East Coast Theme
Pilgrim
New Roanoke
Iroquois

Worlds Collide Theme
Juncture City
Crossroad
Chance

Super Generic Theme
Bay City
Port City
Capital City

Perfect City Theme
Ideal
Port of Honor
Acropolis
Kevin?
TK Player

Re: Naming the City

Postby Sam » June 14th, 2013, 1:43 pm

Yeah it's naming time.
Sam
TK Player

Character Name: Hugh Weaver

Postby Kevin? » June 14th, 2013, 1:53 pm

Sam wrote:Yeah it's naming time.

Welcome to Nameofthe City!
Kevin?
TK Player

Postby Sam » June 14th, 2013, 2:13 pm

Metro City
Metroshiretonvillburg
New Metrogothpolisham
New Croatoan
Questhub City
Wrennton
Hughville (all the Hughs down in hughville, asleep in their beds)
Weaverton
Deominburg
Arora
New Wurlode
Brandis
Albagore
Riverton City (oh yes there's trouble, right here in Riverton City)
Generic City
New Normal
Ironic City
Cityname City
Greensburg
Blueville (all the blues down in Blueville...)
Sam
TK Player

Postby Sam » June 14th, 2013, 2:16 pm

Aaaaaand I'm spent.
Sam
TK Player

Postby Dan » June 14th, 2013, 2:26 pm

I like the vibe of the super generic names, like Bay City and Port City.
Dan
TK Player

Character Name: Brandis

Postby Sam » June 14th, 2013, 3:00 pm

I agree. We should figure out what state it's in, can't really have a fictional state.
Sam
TK Player

Postby Sanguinesun » June 15th, 2013, 2:43 am

Union city (named originally for the confluence of two rivers, the Grey and the Lumber rivers). The city originaly dates back to being a trading post in the 1700's for fur traders along the two rivers. Eventually as it grew into a prosperous town, logging and lumber(for which one of the two rivers was named) became a major force in the economy of the town as well as a stop for river travelers.

During the 1800's demand for lumber increase with the various railroads that were put into production and Union City took on as well notoriety as a rail road confluence as well.

By WW1 and WW2 the city became a major industrial center drawing immigrants from both around the country and the world willing to work in all manner of factories that supported the wars. After ww2 the boom of middle class wealth and consumerism spurred the city into becoming a major urban center, though not necessarily having industries that were leaders in their respective markets, they were well known for their support companies and manufacturing for many automotive, aero, and other heavy industries.

The 1960's saw the arrival of a subway and more extensive rail services to outlying suburban communities to accommodate workers filing into the city. Some manufacturing and other companies began to been seen moving to some of these outerlying communities as well to make way for head quarter offices and the rise of financial institutions that hailed the city as one of the top 10 financial centers of the country.

The 1980's and 1990's brought on the onset of darker times for Union. It saw stagnation in many of the industries Union city had been a boon of support for and a horrible decline began. Areas of urban blight and crime as the poor became poorer and the rich tried to hold on to their wealth grew. Wards of the city just 50 years ago hailed as some of the best places to live dine and enjoy were now sites of dirty hourly hotels, pawn shops, and a myriad of nefarious drug and organized syndicate activities. The financial and corporate districts still maintained their shiny and powerful veneer but those who were relegated to the "north east" facing offices in those white towers were given the front row reminder of the urban rot and the ever present reminder that "there but for the grace of my boss go I".

By the late 90's and the first decade of the new millennium, the internet and techboom helped spur an urban renewal and reclaimation endeavors that made heralded a few city politicians and non profits as heroes of the city. An increased budget for due to world happenings saw the city's police force swell in numbers which helped keep the crime presence at bay but also was known for a reputation of excessive force and abuse.

------

Anyway, that's my suggestion for the city that could be fleshed out for the alien presence aspects and perhaps some more post apocalyptic sections of the city due to what happened etc.
Sanguinesun

Postby Diggles » June 16th, 2013, 5:42 am

New New York
Diggles

Postby Cailin » June 17th, 2013, 9:03 am

Wow Sanguine, I love how much depth you rolled out for Union City. In general I like the name, it's got that nice semi-generic feeling that's typical of the hero genre. As to what state it's in, I'm fond of the big cities of the East Coast with their crazy weather and dense populations. So... I'm thinking New York, Maryland, or Maine.
Cailin
TK Player

Character Name: Arora

Postby Sanguinesun » June 18th, 2013, 6:39 am

Thanks, I tried to give it something semi generic so that it could fit in most states to a lesser or greater degree and as well have any potential plot development areas in and in surrounding environs to it: old warehouses and industrial complexes, tech and financial high rises, seedy areas, suburbs, river fronts with barge and freight container depots, train/rail yards etc etc. It does fit better due to what I mentioned for the east coast(1700's on history in that regard).

Anyway, if it helps Greg in that regard that's great, I like throwing out stuff like that. :)
Sanguinesun

Return to Metagame