Skill dice pool

This is for any RPG related out-of-character stuff like rules discussions, character ideas, loot wishlists, etc. If it's about game mechanics in any way, it goes here.

Postby Sam » June 7th, 2013, 8:23 pm

Been reading up on the rules today and saw something that I had misunderstood before. So page 70 of the beta rules: " The higher value of the relevant characteristic or skill is used to determine the total number of :sw_ability: . The smaller of these two values indicates how many of those are upgraded to :sw_prof: ."

I had thought that if I had a cunning of two, then I could only upgrade a related skill like deceit two times to get a max of :sw_prof: :sw_prof: . But it looks like I could upgrade deceit five times to get a max of :sw_ability: :sw_ability: :sw_ability: :sw_prof: :sw_prof: .

Also I checked the errata, they changed the human special from an extra free career specialization, to a free rank in each of two non career skills.
Sam
TK Player

Character Name: Hugh Weaver

Re: Skill dice pool

Postby Greg » June 8th, 2013, 10:49 am

Ah yeah, that's what I was trying to explain during the session!

You take the two numbers associated with your skill (skill rank and characteristic) - then the HIGHER number indicates the number of :sw_ability:, while the lower number is how many are upgraded to :sw_prof:. A bit of reading player reactions showed me that this seems to have been an attempt to keep the dice pools to a manageable size, as dice pool systems have a reputation of having extremely large pools that can take a while to interpret after rolling. I think it was a great idea.
Greg
TK Dungeon Master

Character Name: Dungeon Master

Postby Greg » June 8th, 2013, 10:52 am

Oh, and here's the thing I really like: the way you aid a friend in a check is by picking the highest between each participant's skill and characteristic rank.

So if Fred has 5 Brawn and 2 Athletics
And George has 2 Brawn and 4 Athletics

The final aided dice pool is treated as if it were 5 Brawn and 4 Athletics, resulting in :sw_prof: :sw_prof: :sw_prof: :sw_prof: :sw_ability:
Greg
TK Dungeon Master

Postby Sam » June 8th, 2013, 11:58 am

That seems cool, but nothing happens if you have the same stats or if one person is just higher in both. The later case seems like it would happen often. As the group doctor I'm expecting that I'll have the highest intellect and medical skill. Maybe that makes sense though? If it's a one-person task, and one person is just all-around better than the other person, the other guy isn't really going to be able to help directly. I wonder if in that situation indirect help is allowed, like being an extra set of hands, to grant a :sw_boost: . If that's the case, I'm curious what is better, adding a :sw_boost: or upgrading a :sw_ability: to a :sw_prof: . I like that they tried to minimize the number of dice rolled, very user friendly. I'm curious to see how the system handles group challenges, like five people lifting a car. I'll have to keep reading.
Sam
TK Player

Character Name: Hugh Weaver

Postby Greg » June 8th, 2013, 12:34 pm

If I remember my own calculations correctly, if we're just talking about chance of success then the best is adding a :sw_ability:, followed by upgrading to :sw_prof:, with adding a :sw_boost: coming in last. I need to run the numbers to find out how each of these changes your chance of getting advantages though.

Yeah, the aid another rules do talk about adding a Boost die if you have more than 2 people working on a thing, and it might have even said you can add a boost die if one player has better in both numbers than the other.
Greg
TK Dungeon Master

Return to Metagame