A Plea For Wrenn To Keep Being Evil

This is for any RPG related out-of-character stuff like rules discussions, character ideas, loot wishlists, etc. If it's about game mechanics in any way, it goes here.

Postby Kevin? » April 13th, 2012, 5:52 pm

So I feel like Lincoln came up with a very wicked and cool (or wickedly cool) idea at the end of last session. Forcibly resurrecting someone to be Wrenn's servant is such an awesome Devil Lord thing to do.

Of course, it would lead the rest of the group into trying to kill him.

I have a suspicion, Lincoln, that though you want Wrenn to be doing evil things, you don't necessarily want to distract from the story, cause (too much) conflict, or steal the spotlight from other characters. That's because you're a nice guy.

But Wrenn isn't!

I am proposing that Wrenn should start doing more evil things... in secret. If Resurrection works like it did in Third Edition, then you only need a piece of the body to perform the ritual. Wrenn should totally snip off a fingertip or some hair and Resurrect the body in his secret chambers! Then bind him as your servant, force him to wear a mask or something to conceal his true identity, and march him around as your personal servant. The rest of us will just think he's some demon, but Wrenn will know the truth. And so will the Crimson Rod, right?

Wrenn has a whole level of Hell to go to where he can do all this evil stuff in secret! If Wrenn goes off the radar to perform these evil deeds, and then parades them in front of the characters without any of them knowing, that's fantastically evil. That's probably more evil that doing it all in public!

Anyways, this might just be that little evil voice in me that I used as Arath, but I say go big or go home!

Oh, and then act all innocent and reformed around the rest of the characters!
Kevin?
TK Player

Re: A Plea For Wrenn To Keep Being Evil

Postby countingku » April 13th, 2012, 8:29 pm

Kevin, you are clearly the evillest one of them all. :)
countingku

Character Name: TagrathBanhammer

Postby IMChaos » April 14th, 2012, 3:38 am

I love it! :twisted:
IMChaos

Postby lincoln » April 16th, 2012, 9:37 am

Well, since we have opened this can of worms, here are my two cents...

I would love for Wrenn to do more evil stuff. The problem(s) though are the very same ones you described. Every time I do something it ends up causing the biggest shit storm in the history of TK. This, in turn, distracts from the story, steals the spotlight, and essentially causes what feels like The Wrenn Show for a few weeks. I (more or less) want to avoid that stuff. Don't get me wrong, I love the conflict. It makes sessions interesting and memorable. I think it is awesome watching everyone on edge during the sessions. It is fun to sit in the hot seat knowing that my actions are flying in the face of my friends' plans. Justifying them is a super fun thing to RP! I just get worried that I am showboating. I don't want to be the guy that is constantly throwing caution to the wind and shooting from the hip (even though that is what Wrenn does fairly often). It has put me in a bit of a bind as a player.

The solution to this, of course, is to use the forums to describe Wrenn's devilish escapades, but I don't know how I feel about that. As I have stated before in other threads, I like playing stuff up for the live group, mics, and cameras. It is more fun (and makes for a better reveal) when I catch you guys off guard with Wrenn's actions rather than talking about them in Wrenn's Wramblings and hoping everyone gets the chance to see/read them. And then there are the listeners to consider... many of them don't visit our forums. If I start dropping flavor bombs off air, they will feel like they are missing out on stuff and could potentially get lost. I like posting flavor in the forum threads, but I try to keep it limited to side story stuff. Yes, Wrenn's fun adventures in Cania could get written down there, but they deserve more attention...

Do you guys see what I mean about being in a bit of a precarious situation here?! Damn! To quote my dear friend Veruca Salt, "I want the world! I want the whole world!"

Admittedly, I have been taking a back seat lately to give others more of the RP spotlight. I went pretty heavy there for a while and wanted to let some others shine for a bit. Fear not, though, for I have ideas and plans of my own... Wrenn's devilish ways will return in all their glory! The hordes of Cania will reap the lands of Toril and all will quake at the mere mention of Wrenn's name!
lincoln
TK Player

Character Name: Wrenn

Postby Kevin? » April 16th, 2012, 11:28 am

First off, +1000 points for quoting Ms. Salt.

Second, all your points are valid... but that's why you've just got to do it in secret! Wrenn is a 25th level DEVIL LORD. He could totally use Prestidigitation to remove some skin cells from a corpse without anyone knowing, and then vanish to Cania to do his evilness without anyone in the group knowing. He is EPIC like that. And I think if you blatantly told the group "Wrenn is doing all this in secret, and taking measures to make sure nobody notices," then we will all basically agree to roleplay our characters not knowing.

Let's face it, as much as we enjoy playing our heroic, do-good characters, I think we all get a secret little glee whenever Wrenn gets away with doing something evil.
Kevin?
TK Player

Postby Greg » April 16th, 2012, 11:51 am

Don't use the forums to reveal important character development stuff. That should be in session!
Greg
TK Dungeon Master

Character Name: Dungeon Master

Postby lincoln » April 16th, 2012, 12:53 pm

Greg wrote:Don't use the forums to reveal important character development stuff. That should be in session!

I couldn't agree more... therein lies my problem!
lincoln
TK Player

Postby Kevin? » April 17th, 2012, 3:56 pm

lincoln wrote:
Greg wrote:Don't use the forums to reveal important character development stuff. That should be in session!

I couldn't agree more... therein lies my problem!

I think I am being misunderstood...

I am not trying to get you to roleplay Wrenn being evil without the players knowing, but I think it would be an absolute blast for the entire group if you had Wrenn do even more evil things without the characters knowing. I guess what I'm saying is, feel free to tell us when the actions that Wrenn is taking have no chance of being seen by our characters. I really don't want to speak for the whole group here, but I just don't want you to feel held back roleplaying-wise!
Kevin?
TK Player

Postby Dan » April 17th, 2012, 4:18 pm

Agreed.

Brandis will not tolerate Wrenn's tomfoolery, and has run out of patience waiting for him to stop doing the evil thing. He's like a new father - a new sense of responsibility. But his brand new baby is THE UNIVERSE.

I, on the other hand, foresee a not-too distant future where the campaign has ended, and I think to myself, "FutureDan, why did you stand in the way of Lincoln trying to do evil things? Quick! To the Quantum Leap machine to warn PastDan!" And so, as PresentDan, I say that you should really do evil stuff, any way you can. This is a selfish request - I personally want to see more deception within the party.
Dan
TK Player

Character Name: Brandis

Postby Greg » April 17th, 2012, 10:57 pm

lincoln wrote:This, in turn, distracts from the story, steals the spotlight, and essentially causes what feels like The Wrenn Show for a few weeks.

Dude, the characters are the story. Doing stuff that has rippling effects is the opposite of distracting from the story :P

Now, if you're talking about the violent reactions of the other characters towards Wrenn's last big action, I would say that's because what Wrenn did was phenomenally stupid, put the entire group at huge risk, and was quite deserving of the treatment he received! (keep in mind we're talking in-fiction here. I'm talking about Wrenn, not Lincoln!) It would make sense to me, then, that he tones down his action that are visible to his friends. I mean, I'm pretty sure Wrenn's takeaway from that whole incident was not "I shouldn't have done that to the Prince" but rather "I shouldn't have admitted what I did to Hugh." In fact, I would even fault the actions of the other characters for that! Had they reacted a lot more calmly and explained why they disagreed with his actions, they might have been able to convince him. Instead they acted like they were disciplining a child, which I would imaging would be more likely to make Wrenn just annoyed with them.
Greg
TK Dungeon Master

Character Name: Dungeon Master

Postby Cailin » April 17th, 2012, 11:19 pm

Let's just run through some of the most interesting (and fun) Wrenn moments in TK history. [Spoiler Alert]

1. Wrenn accidentally summons a quasit and makes it his familiar in a bid for power that turns out to be someone else's bid for power over him
2. Wrenn has Arora's daughter's fiancé all but murdered, entering into a conspiracy with her husband King Klethen of Ulgarth, and asks Hugh to help him cover it up.
3. Every time Wrenn talks to Mephistopheles/Bel/Asmodeus, specifically the Lords of the Nine Meeting

All of these moments are decidedly Wrenn-centric, but you know what? People love it. It creates interesting story elements, it takes the story in new, interesting directions. The story may have a defined arc, but its not on rails. In other words, we're all driving this crazy umbrella. I will reassure you of this fact as many times as you need, because when you let the spotlight shine on Wrenn, something damn interesting always seems to happen. I love it. Arora doesn't.

On the other hand, I understand if you want to do evil shit and quickly move on, so just do as Kevin suggested and tack on "Wrenn does this in secret". Just make sure it's reasonably cover-up-able (which make take some restraint on Wrenn's part) and DM Greg will for sure be on your side. So the solution to your woe is not "Stop doing evil things", but instead it's "Stop getting caught by the characters". It'll take some finesse, and maybe even some planning ahead of time... but it's definitely do-able. If that's the direction you want to go... then the road is open.
Cailin
TK Player

Character Name: Arora

Postby lincoln » April 18th, 2012, 8:44 am

Ok, you have persuaded me... but I will warn you - this could get ugly ;)
lincoln
TK Player

Postby Kevin? » April 18th, 2012, 8:49 am

Yay! We've all convinced Wrenn to... be... more evil...

Oh no, what have we done???
Kevin?
TK Player

Postby Dan » April 18th, 2012, 9:10 am

I feel like this thread was us playing as the lords of Hell again.
Dan
TK Player

Character Name: Brandis

Return to Metagame