renaming the Yargo

Use this forum for any in-game stuff such as stories, journal entries, or in-character discussion.

Postby Sam » August 6th, 2010, 11:09 am

After a couple weeks of flying the captured Yargo, Captain Kaz Dunlin approaches the airship's new owners. "Arr we be arriving in Cormyr soon enough and we can't be calling this fine beauty the Yargo any more, arr. Arr we'll have to be giving her a new name before we reach the port, arr." The captain takes a moment to look over the ship with a gleaming eye. "Arr were it up to me, we'd be calling her The Screaming Maiden arr, but I'll leave the decision up to yourselves arr."
Sam
TK Player

Character Name: Hugh Weaver

Re: renaming the Yargo

Postby Sam » August 6th, 2010, 11:22 am

As the five stand on the deck a moment considering options for the name of the ship, Hugh blurts out "Homlet's Hope." The others turn to look at him and he continues, "I know it's kind of pretentious, but it just popped in my head, and now I can't think of anything else." Hugh gives a brief smile, "Well, other than variations on Kaz's, The Moaning Maiden or The Giggling Maiden. But those are just kind of funny." Hugh looks at Arora, Brandis, Deomin, and Wrenn to see what they think.
Sam
TK Player

Postby Cailin » August 6th, 2010, 2:51 pm

Arora nodded vigorously at each of Hugh's suggestions. "Well, if a dwarf were trying to name a new mine, they'd tie various applicable adjectives to piglets, grease 'em up, then let the local children catch a pair. Then they'd eat those pigs for supper and if they were good, that's what they would name the mine." Arora shrugged, grinning a little. "Made for some... interesting names. In fact I'm pretty sure I'm responsible for some gem mine being named Dorim's Sparkling Crack. But uh... it sounds better in dwarven, mostly."
Cailin
TK Player

Character Name: Arora

Postby Diggles » August 6th, 2010, 10:16 pm

VanDamn reminisces of old battles fought along side Brandis as they all share ale in the tavern. He elicits Brandis to share new stories and battle tales. For VanDamn is an old man now and his kingdom is tame by Faerun standards. As Brandis starts to recount their recent victory over the pirate crew, VanDamns eyes begin to bulge and his maw gapping open. He throws back the reminder of his pint and then spits it out all over Grosh accidently when Brandis describes his landing onto the airship, killing 5 enemies in a single landing! Everyone turns their attention to the now standing minotaur, roaring indignantly and the entire tavern erupts in laughter. Even Grosh catches the contagious laughter and throws his head back so far his horns stick into the ceiling, only fueling the hilarity of the situation.

Both Brandis and Grosh stand from their stools to reenact the battle, while the entire tavern is now listening intently to their adventure. As they go thru their battle swings, blow by blow, the bards on the performance stage stand and begin to strum their lutes to the beat. Patrons begin to gravel their glass pints onto the bar and tables in rhythm.

As the Thursday Knights finish telling the tale they divulge that the ship is in need of a new name. VanDamn stands to clasp forearms with Brandis, "THUNDERSTRUCK"! (as per Brandis's explosion of a landing)

http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/search/ ... nderstruck

The tale of the Thursday Knights adventure quickly spreads like wildfire thru all of the Cormyr region. The bards present at the first telling, now play the ThunderStruck tune each time the story is told, but also add the addition of arcane cantrips in the form of pyrotechnics.

VanDamn who was considered a washed up old pencil pusher was now revered and a celebrity in the city for his ties to the Thursday Knights. He regrew his once mighty mullet and took a more active role in the guard, putting his hand in every step of the recruitment, training and day to day operations. The King noticed the huge upswing of energy and morale throughout the Kingdom. He commissioned the Royal Mages to enchant a new sword on VanDamn's behalf, 'Rolling Thunder' after the noisy tavern song of the Thursday Knights tale capturing the Yargo. (Thundergod Fullblade +4)

Young mistresses and brave lads hoping to become adventurers frequently interrogate VanDamn when the Thursday Knights will return to the city. Using his new sword, VanDamn even ousts the current Champion Swordsman to take the Title, then promptly retires undefeated! In his free time he works with local mages and bartenders to concoct a new beverage, Thunder Brandy, which is known for its kick. Rumors are the new drink is so potent it is capable of knocking out even seasoned dwarf drinkers.
Diggles

Postby Eric Holland » August 8th, 2010, 2:09 pm

This story got me way too pumped up. The audio track had everything to do with it. Unless someone is prepared to write a better RP excerpt I vote we roll with Thuderstrike. The past tense is too confusing and makes me think that we just took damage or are dazed(save ends).

Additionally, anyone who has seen a Jean Claude Van Damme movie(I did last night). Knows you never bet against JCVD or any other Van Damme.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1130988/
Eric Holland
TK Player

Character Name: Deomin

Postby Diggles » August 8th, 2010, 5:49 pm

Eric Holland wrote:This story got me way too pumped up. The audio track had everything to do with it. Unless someone is prepared to write a better RP excerpt I vote we roll with Thuderstrike. The past tense is too confusing and makes me think that we just took damage or are dazed(save ends).

Additionally, anyone who has seen a Jean Claude Van Damme movie(I did last night). Knows you never bet against JCVD or any other Van Damme.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1130988/

Hah, I'm glad you like it. My name's Eric as well, although everyone calls me Diggles anyways. We seem to have very similar tastes.

As long as you include THE in the ships name, its not confusing~! 'The Thunderstruck'.

Thunderstrike implies the ship does the striking. However the ship was struck by thunder, Brandis's landing and Grosh's Earthquake Dragon rage (thunder damage). Therefore it must be 'The Thunderstruck'!

Give it a shot, if you guys keep getting confused and shit, we can consider changing ;)
Diggles

Postby Cailin » August 8th, 2010, 7:30 pm

I vote yes, but only if we can paint a big thunderbolt on the side of the ship. ;)
Cailin
TK Player

Character Name: Arora

Postby Diggles » August 8th, 2010, 9:14 pm

Cailin wrote:I vote yes, but only if you paint a big thunderbolt on the side of the ship. ;)

Fixed for you!
I'd love to see a sketch of the scene of the halflings painting the ship and Grosh cuts one loose (probably the guy doing the big Thunderbolt)
Diggles

Postby Eric Holland » August 9th, 2010, 11:24 am

Diggles/Eric,
I love the story as an ispiration for the name, but I dont want to be too concerned about sticking to Thuderstruck as a name because thats how it happened. It may just boil down to the fact that Thunderstruck sounds to me like there was an accident in the past. I like Thunderstrike because we are a group that is agressive and forward when it comes to a fight. If there is division on the name we could go in a different direction, but I would miss the opportunity to have a big thunderbolt on the side...
Eric Holland
TK Player

Character Name: Deomin

Postby Dan » August 9th, 2010, 6:14 pm

That's EXACTLY what happened. Though in the end, I have to side with the blue-haired bandit. I vote Thunderstrike.
Dan
TK Player

Character Name: Brandis

Postby Sam » August 10th, 2010, 12:48 am

So while the story is awesome, Thunderstruck doesn't bowl me over as the perfect name. However, naming the airship Thunderstrike does have some awesome word play potential. "Like a bolt from the blue, the Thunderstike descended on the unwitting orcs..." "Our heros are stranded on the rim of a bursting volcano with no way to escape, when suddenly, the Thunderstrike splits through the gloom..." , etc.

Thunderstrike beats any name I've come up with, so it has my vote barring any other new contenders.
Sam
TK Player

Postby lincoln » August 10th, 2010, 10:50 am

OMG, Thunderstrike is amazing lol
lincoln
TK Player

Character Name: Wrenn

Postby Eric Holland » August 11th, 2010, 4:00 pm

Eric Holland